Dan Reiland talks about what it’s been like to work with John Maxwell for over 30 years, about how they vritually created the role of Executive Pastor, and what he’s learning serving as the XP of one of the largest churches in the country (12 Stone). Dan even tells us the top 5 leadership lessons of all time that he learned from John Maxwell.
Welcome to Episode 105 of the Podcast.
Guest Links: Dan Reiland
Dan Reilands Top 5 Insights From John Maxwell
How do you qualify yourself as a leader? It’s more than someone assigning a title to you. How you leverage your influence to lead change makes all the difference. Dan shares the incredible advice he’s learned from John Maxwell.
- Leadership is influence. It’s too easy try to make it mechanical or about a title or about a function, but leadership is more relational and organic. It’s more art than science. It’s not stratified.
- Leaders are agents of change. The local church can be a place where nothing changes. Dan has a deep passion that sees progress, and he says that just can’t happen without change.
- Encouragement is 51% of leadership. It sounds simple, but you have to define encouragement. We think of it as something soft, but as a leader who’s an encourager, people will migrate to you. The outcome overrides the action.
- Attitude can make or break you. It’s a choice that can take you to the top. It’s common to see what needs to be fixed. When you work hard, and you carry a heavy load, your perspective gets skewed. Or you can choose the opposite, and free your thoughts.
- People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. Some people make mentorship too big. Mentoring isn’t about this big program; it’s about the right person with the right word at the right moment. How you make an impact doesn’t have to do with what you know, but how you relate to someone.
Quotes from this Episode
The Lasting Impact Team Edition
The team edition is a compilation of eight videos designed to allow the teams in your church follow along as a supplement to the book. I highlight key points from the material and discuss additional hot topics that relate to your ministry.
Get your copy of Lasting Impact today!
Lasting Impact frames 7 pivotal conversations every church team needs to have, covering subjects like declining church attendance, team health, creating a culture volunteers love and how to engineer changes in your church.
A New Episode Every Week…Just Subscribe
The podcast releases every Tuesday morning.
Subscribe for free and never miss out on wisdom from world-class leaders like Brian Houston, Andy Stanley, Louie Giglio, Ravi Zacharias, Craig Groeschel, Sue Miller, Kara Powell, Jon Acuff and many others.
Appreciate This? Rate the Podcast.
Hopefully, this episode has helped you lead like never before. That’s my goal. If you appreciated it, could you share the love?
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on iTunes and leave us a brief review! You can do the same on Stitcher and on TuneIn Radio as well.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
Thank you for being so awesome.
Next Episode: Kara Powell
It’s easy to think only large churches with big staffs and significant budgets can reach young people. The truth is they are. But new research shows they’re not the only ones. Kara Powell shares brand new research on how average churches with few staff and little money are reaching young adults in the same way large churches are.