The vast majority of churches in Western culture are not church plants, they’re churches that need to be transitioned.
Jud Wilhite gives an exceptionally honest and helpful explanation of how he transitioned Central Christian Church in Las Vegas from success…to even greater success, sharing lots of transferable principles.
Welcome to Episode 54 of the Podcast.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
Things You Can Do Right Away
Whether you’re transitioning into a church of 50 or 5,000, the process is often turbulent. Jud Wilhite shares his insights on the conflicts he encountered and how he handled changes with grace and patience.
- Hold to your sense of calling. Statistics said that Jud wouldn’t make it through the first year, and in fact, he says that he and his wife left boxes packed in their garage. But despite the odds that were against him, he said that he continued to listen to God and follow His calling. He kept a humble spirit, stayed faithful and continued to learn. He focused on loving others, building relationships and listening to those he trusted.
- Focus on the health of your board. You need to listen to the framework of where the church is coming from and where the people are coming from. And keep an open ear for some key things, such as gossip and hidden agendas. Your board will watch your back and stand with you. If you keep the board behind you, you can get through anything. If you’re healthy at the top, you’ll be healthy throughout your ministry.
- Brace yourself for the inevitable exit ahead. During a transition, you can expect things to get messy. People are going to leave, and feelings will get hurt. Remember that it will get the worst as key leaders friends leave, but stay committed to the vision, mission and course of action you agreed on together.
Quotes from this episode
Take advantage of free bonuses by pre-ordering my new book, Lasting Impact
Take advantage of FREE offers if you pre-order Lasting Impact now!
If you pre-order my book, Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow, October 1-12, you’ll receive:
- Access to an exclusive live Q&A webinar with me.
- A free audio version of the book with additional commentary
- A free version of the eBook
Lasting Impact frames 7 pivotal conversations every church team needs to have, covering subject like declining church attendance, team health, creating a culture volunteers love and how to engineer change in your church.
You can place your pre-Order at LastingImpactBook.com!
A New Episode Every Week…Just Subscribe
The podcast releases every Tuesday morning.
Subscribe for free and never miss out on wisdom from great leaders such as Jon Acuff, Mark Batterson, Pete Wilson, David Kinnaman, Caleb Kaltenbach, Kara Powell, Casey Graham, Perry Noble, and Andy Stanley.
Appreciate This? Rate the Podcast.
Hopefully this episode has helped you lead like never before. That’s my goal. If you appreciated it, could you share the love?
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast in iTunes and leave us a brief review! You can do the same on Stitcher and on TuneIn Radio as well.
Your rating and review helps gets the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
Thank you for being so awesome.
Next Episode: Brad Lomenick
Leadership is changing. Carey brings Brad Lomenick back on the podcast to talk about 3 essential components it takes to lead in today’s culture. Plus, Brad is giving away 25 copies of his new book H3 Leadership to podcast listeners. Tune in for details on how to win.
Subscribe for free now, and you won’t miss Episode 55.
Plus, you’ll get the bonus 1 year anniversary episodes and special Ask Carey episodes in September.
In the meantime, got a question?
Scroll down and leave a comment!