It’s one thing to develop great strategy for effective ministry, but it’s quite another to stay personally healthy and passionate in the midst of leading one of the fastest growing churches in the world.
Craig Groeschel gets personal as he talks to Carey about how he has stayed passionate and healthy over two decades of ministry.
Welcome to Episode 52 of the Podcast.
Guest Links: Craig Groeschel
Links Mentioned in this Episode
3 Things You Can Do Right Away
You can be one of the most influential leaders in your community and still struggle with discouragement and inadequacy. Craig Groeschel tells us how he stays fueled in his ministry.
- Discover what keeps your passion white hot. Craig said he grew up going to church but didn’t follow Christ, so he developed a massive passion to bring people to God. “Put me in a room full of lost people, and I come to life,” Craig expressed emphatically. He says you’ve got to find that thing that breaks your heart, and stay close to that to keep you motivated. If you lose that, find something else that creates a divine hunger inside of your heart. Additionally, live in prayer so you can contemplate the goodness of God in your work, in your routine and in your life. If you give yourself permission to be close to God in nontraditional ways, it’s can be liberating.
- Take care of your body. Craig is committed to his routine in the gym and in his diet because he knows if he cares for himself, he can bring the best his best self to everything God puts in front of him. “It was more of a spiritual decision than a physical decision,” he said. “I want to bring everything to God to serve Him, so I take it seriously.” It’s also important that you give yourself time off from work, so you can recharge the other elements in your life that make you feel complete, whether it’s your family, your marriage or a hobby.
- Learn from everyone and anyone you can. You can learn from anyone because everyone has a story. You don’t have to learn from someone who’s “bigger” than you are. You can find new ways to learn from others if you see the right opportunity to do so. Put yourself around people who give you the gift of disorientation, those who aren’t just one step ahead, but 5 to 20 steps in front of you. Pay the most attention to the places where you find yourself giving pushback, because you can learn the most where you don’t understand the context. Information is everywhere now. There’s no excuse not to learn.
Quotes from Craig
Grow Your Church And Get Exclusive Early Bird Bonuses
My new book, Lasting Impact: 7 Powerful Conversations That Will Help Your Church Grow, releases October 6th 2015 and is available now for pre-order.
If you order now, you’ll get some exclusive, limited time pre-order bonuses included for free:
1. The audio book version of Lasting Impact.
2. The e-book version.
3. Access to an exclusive webinar with me on how to have powerful conversations with your team.
Plus, the first 1000 people to order the book will get a limited edition Lasting Impact poster.
Click here to get your copy now. Better yet, order a dozen for your team and make sure everyone gets the bonuses!
A New Episode Every Week…Just Subscribe
The podcast releases every Tuesday morning. And this month, we’re adding three bonus episodes on Thursdays to celebrate the podcasts 1st birthday.
Subscribe for free and never miss out on wisdom from great leaders such as Jon Acuff, Mark Batterson, Pete Wilson, David Kinnaman, Caleb Kaltenbach, Kara Powell, Casey Graham, Perry Noble, and Andy Stanley. Plus get the one year retrospective bonus episode and two #AskCarey episodes where I answer your questions.
Appreciate This? Rate the Podcast.
Hopefully this episode has helped you lead like never before. That’s my goal. If you appreciated it, could you share the love?
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast in iTunes and leave us a brief review! You can do the same on Stitcher and on TuneIn Radio as well.
Your rating and review helps gets the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
Thank you for being so awesome.
Next Episode:Ravi Zacharias, Nabeel Qureshi, Alycia Wood and Margaret Manning
How do you share your faith in a world in which people are losing interest in Christianity? In this special episode, Carey interviews four leading apologists, including Ravi Zacharias, about how apologetics is changing and what to do next.
Subscribe for free now, and you won’t miss Episode 53.
Plus, you’ll get the bonus 1 year anniversary episodes and special Ask Carey episodes in September.
In the meantime, got a question?
Scroll down and leave a comment!