Casey Graham has interviewed dozens of CEOs of 7 figure businesses. Surprisingly, the same issues entrepreneurs face in growing their companies to beyond $200,000, $600,000 and even a million dollars in revenue are almost identical to the issues church leaders face in growing their churches past 200, 600 and 1000 weekend attendees. Carey and Casey discuss the very real similarities.
Welcome to Episode 104 of the Podcast.
Guest Links: Casey Graham
Casey on Twitter
Casey on Facebook
3 Things You Can Do Right Away
Casey is chock-full of practical advice to help entrepreneurs and church leaders break the barriers of mediocrity. He imparts practical advice to ensure the difference makers in each sector reach their maximum growth potential.
- Get stuff off your plate. If you’re doing it all, you have to create margin to hire to your weaknesses. Don’t have the payroll? You don’t give them a year’s salary up front. Pay what you can afford and focus on getting out from behind your desk. Focus on the growth strategy now that you have the help.
- Get used to not being needed. When you grow, you’re less needed by everyone. One of the biggest problems with pastors is that they want to be liked, but you have to make decisions that may be a hit to your self-esteem because you have to make decisions that will fuel growth, but not everyone will agree with you.
- Prepare for succession. The business dies with the founder. You have to have a process in place that allows you to turn over the business when you’re finished. Part of this has to do with your hiring process. So, how do you do that? Make the application a lengthy process, conduct health assessments and don’t hire someone just because you like them as a person.
Quotes from this Episode
The Top 10 episodes of the Carey Nieuwhof Leadership Podcast
- CNLP 033: Growing Up with Gay Parents, An Interview with Caleb Kaltenbach
Episode 33 Show Notes
- CNLP 001: An Interview with Andy Stanley
Episode 1 Show Notes
- CNLP 002: An Interview with Perry Noble
Episode 2 Show Notes
- CNLP 079: Mars Hill 2 Years Later: An Insider’s Account of What Happened with Justin Dean
Episode 79 Show Notes
- CNLP 082: David Kinnaman on How Christians are Increasingly Perceived by the Unchurched
Episode 82 Show Notes
- CNLP 023: Why People Are Attending Church Less Often and How to Respond, an Interview with Will Mancini
Episode 23 Show Notes
- CNLP 083: Ravi Zacharias on How Preaching and Evangelism Need to Change to Reach the Next Generation
Episode 83 Show Notes
- CNLP 098: Becoming a High Capacity Leader – Deconstructing Frank Bealer’s Habits and Schedule
Episode 98 Show Notes
- CNLP 078: Perry Noble on How He’s Had to Radically Change His Approach to Leadership
Episode 78 Show Notes
- CNLP 076: Raising the Dead, An Interview with Brian Wangler on How He Found New Life and Ushered in Growth in Four Stuck Dying Churches
Episode 76 Show Notes
The Lasting Impact Team Edition
The team edition is a compilation of eight videos designed to allow the teams in your church follow along as a supplement to the book. I highlight key points from the material and discuss additional hot topics that relate to your ministry.
Get your copy of Lasting Impact today!
Lasting Impact frames 7 pivotal conversations every church team needs to have, covering subjects like declining church attendance, team health, creating a culture volunteers love and how to engineer changes in your church.
A New Episode Every Week…Just Subscribe
The podcast releases every Tuesday morning.
Subscribe for free and never miss out on wisdom from world-class leaders like Brian Houston, Andy Stanley, Louie Giglio, Ravi Zacharias, Craig Groeschel, Sue Miller, Kara Powell, Jon Acuff and many others.
Appreciate This? Rate the Podcast.
Hopefully, this episode has helped you lead like never before. That’s my goal. If you appreciated it, could you share the love?
The best way to do that is to rate the podcast on iTunes and leave us a brief review! You can do the same on Stitcher and on TuneIn Radio as well.
Your ratings and reviews help us place the podcast in front of new leaders and listeners. Your feedback also lets me know how I can better serve you.
Thank you for being so awesome.
Next Episode: Dan Reiland
Dan Reiland talks about what it’s been like to work with John Maxwell for over 30 years, about how they vritually created the role of Executive Pastor, and what he’s learning serving as the XP of one of the largest churches in the country (12 Stone). Dan even tells us the top 5 leadership lessons of all time that he learned from John Maxwell.