Discussed a great question last night at our group that grabbed me: what surprised you most about the Christian faith? What aspect of your faith did you have no idea was coming down the pipe?
Here are some things that still catch me off guard:
- Had no idea that following Jesus would be a battle of sorts. I thought things would more easily resolve and that staying true to God would be easier than it is.
- Really still discovering the upside down nature of the Gospel – that when you try to keep your life you lose it, that power and influence are not given for your benefit but the benefit of others.
- I'm surprised that God loves us enough to humbly suffer the way He suffered in Christ. There are days I wonder whether we (humanity) is actually worth that, given our response to God so far (and my personal response to that kind of devotion).
- I'm surprised at how unredeemed parts of my character still feel. This following Jesus thing is a life-time process of constant work by God.
- I'm surprised that God can love such a wide variety of people, including the weird ones that I don't love. Of course, I realize I am one of the weird ones to others….
How about you – what surprises or surprised you about Christianity? Or, if you haven't decided to follow Jesus, what keeps you from it?
I think there's a lot of gold in the answer to this question. Post away.